LOCAL CAFE FIRE: An umbrella was blown by the wind into power lines outside a local coffee shop.
LOCAL CAFE FIRE: An umbrella was blown by the wind into power lines outside a local coffee shop. Meg Gannon

Umbrella caught in power line sparks fire

CUSTOMERS were sent running from Marissa's Coffee Shop, on Nicholson St, after an umbrella blew into power lines, causing a fire on the roof.

Just before 1pm today, employees heard a loud bang an evacuated customers.

The umbrella blew into powerlines in a freak gust of wind, setting off sparks.

The roof, between Marissa's and the neighbouring bottle shop, caught fire shortly after.

Police and fire brigade officers responded immediately and an ambulance arrived shortly after 1pm.

Senior-Sergeant Terry McCullough explained the damage tothe surrounding areas.

"Traffic lights have gone out on the Warrego (Highway),” Sen-Sgt McCullough said at the time.

"It's being managed by police until Main Roads can take over.”

One person was transported to hospital for smoke inhalation.


Injuries sustained from horse fall

Injuries sustained from horse fall

Man injured in horse riding incident

Generations come together for Easter service

Generations come together for Easter service

Churches of Biloela joining for Easter service

Stirring up the old traditions

Stirring up the old traditions

Banana Uniting Church hosts its Golden Jubilee