Students offered spot at Gallipoli Anzac centenary memorial

Scott Powick

QUEENSLAND secondary students are being given the chance of a lifetime with the opportunity to be part of the Centenary of Anzac memorial in Gallipoli next year.

Education Minister John-Paul Langbroek said on Sunday  entries for the 2015 Premier's Anzac Prize were now open and urged students from all school sectors to apply.

"The Premier's Anzac Prize provides an unforgettable educational experience which helps ensure important lessons of the past are learned and that Queenslanders keep the Anzac spirit alive," he said.

"Students have to submit an original, two- to five-minute multimedia presentation on how the Anzac tradition shaped our nation, why it is still important and how future generations can keep the spirit alive."

Mr Langbroek said 70 students and 10 chaperones would travel to Gallipoli next year to mark the 100th anniversary of the Anzac landings thanks to an additional allocation of places from the Federal Government.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott used his Easter message at the weekend to urge Australians to get involved in Anzac Day commemorations planned across the country this week.

"On Anzac Day we honour those who have served our country in war and peace," he said.

"We remember the 100,000 men and women who have given their lives in our name.

"I hope as many Australians as possible can participate in Anzac Day ceremonies around our country and ensure that we are a country not only of memorials, but of memory as well."

Entries for the Premier's Anzac Prize close on September 19.

Topics:  anzac day education gallipoli memorials

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Regional residents join refugee fight

Hundreds of people from Tweed, Lismore, Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Ipswich will travel to Brisbane for a refugee and asylum seeker forum hosted by the ASRC, Amnesty International, Oxfam Australia and Mums 4 Refugees.

'People are really troubled by the harsh way that we treat refugees'

Sri Lankan family pulled from plane minutes before deportation

The people of Biloela were left stunned last week when Priya and Nadesalingam's home was stormed by Australian Border Security at 5am last Monday.

The Biloela-based asylum seekers were given temporary legal reprieve

Children 'ripped' from beds, border force threatens deportation

Priya and Nadesalingam's two daughters Dharuniga and Kopiga.

Biloela was left stunned when ABS stormed a much-loved family's home

Local Partners