Rally says hands off our rail line
HANDS off our rail line.
That is the message industry, business and community members sent to the Queensland Government during a rally in Biloela yesterday afternoon.
Organised by Enterprise Biloela, a group of concerned citizens rallied at Anzac Park at 5.15pm, opposite the Biloela Railway Station, to voice their support for the rail service to remain open.
Last week Central Telegraph revealed that several businesses in town had received a notice from Queensland Rail advising that it intended to close the 5.8km of track between Biloela and the main line to Gladstone in November.
A QR spokesperson contacted Central Telegraph on Wednesday stating that QR would like to reiterate it was not planning to close any section of rail line between Biloela and Gladstone.
“We have been very clear that what we are doing is going through a process of looking at ways to improve our freight business and how we can continue to meet the needs of our customers in Central Queensland,” the spokesperson said.
“Any decision to close a section of rail line is a decision for Queensland Transport, not QR.”
Member for Callide Jeff Seeney said he was pursuing the issue on all fronts.
Mr Seeney said he organised for Mayor John Hooper and economic development consultant Phil Casey to meet with him and Minister for Transport last week.
“I have since had further more detailed individual discussions one on one with the Minister,” Mr Seeney said.
“The consequent impacts on Biloela and the threat to the future of the railway in town were certainly issues put strongly to the Minister, as were the resultant issues such as increased heavy traffic on our roads.”