Pair left homeless in van fire
TWO men have been left homeless after a fire in Theodore on Friday destroyed their caravan.
At about 2.15pm, Theodore and Moura auxiliary fire crews were called to an incident behind a house in Sixth Avenue, Theodore, where a caravan was burning and a shed beside it had also caught alight.
Theodore Fire Brigade captain Donald Dale said they arrived within minutes, but it was obvious both these structures were well alight and it was too late to save the van and shed.
Attention then turned to save nearby houses and sheds.
“It was at first thought that someone may have been in the van, but contact was made with the occupant and he had returned to work,” Mr Dale said.
Two sawmill workers lived in the van.
Mr Dale said at the time of the fire the wind had been strong and someone noticed that an ember had set alight leaves in a gutter somedistance away.
Mr Dale said the owner was able to put it out before it became dangerous.
As a precaution, when Moura crew arrived at the scene Mr Dale directed them to recheck gutters to assure that no further danger existed to premises.
Investigations into the blaze are continuing.