CAMILLA Parker Bowles is 'utterly devastated' after her brother died from a serious head injury from a freak fall in New York.
The Duchess of Cornwall's brother Mark Shand, 62, was taken to hospital on Tuesday night after apparently slipping while lighting a cigarette.
He hit his head on the pavement outside an after-party for a charity event.
A Clarence House spokesman confirmed the death, saying "The Duchess, the Prince of Wales and all her family members are utterly devastated by this sudden and tragic loss".
"Mark Shand was a man of extraordinary vitality, a tireless campaigner and conservationist whose incredible work through The Elephant Family and beyond remained his focus right up until his death."
Mr Shand was the chairman of the Elephant Family charity.
He was in New York for an auction held at Sotheby's in aid of the charity and underprivileged children.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.