George appeal donors give $25k
IN just three days the appeal to help Rockhampton man George Dobson, who broke his back in India, has reached $25,767.29.
Yesterday his daughter, Liz Leahy, was speechless and could not thank the Australian public enough for their contributions.
Yesterday, in a post on a website dedicated to George, Mrs Leahy said her family had been inundated with emails, messages of support, advice, suggestions and donations by the minute.
“Thank-you's just don't seem to cut it,” she wrote.
George, 65, a former teacher, injured himself when he stumbled and fell on a steep mountain track in northern India two weeks ago.
He has lost the use of his arms and legs and, because he had no travel insurance, his family has been trying to raise the cost of flying him home.
They originally thought the flights, with special medical care, might cost up to $250,000, but a quote sent yesterday suggested $55,000.
Mrs Leahy said they hadn't accepted the quote yet before exploring other options.
The Australian Government says it won't intervene on George's behalf because it would set a precedent.
Mrs Leahy said George's condition was slowly improving and he no longer required oxygen by machine.
She said his blood pressure and blood oxygen levels were returning to a normal level, which meant he might be fit to come home earlier than expected.
George's story has spread worldwide since The Morning Bulletin's story on Monday.
“Within a day it was in the national press,” Mrs Leahy said.
“Not only has it floated the whole appeal to bring dad home, it has brought us assurance that, we, as a nation, are bloody good at banding together in tough times, not just tough times in our community, but tough times for each individual person.”
For updates on George or to make a donation, visit www.bringgeorgeback.com.