After-hours doctor service coming to Biloela
DR GB Singh is on the front line when it comes to providing rural health care.
The veteran GP and director of medical services at Biloela Hospital says he often sees people coming to the emergency department with "GP-type" ailments or seeking to obtain medical certificates, due to the lack of a fully bulk-billed practice in Biloela.
So this week, supported by a few other doctors from the region, he took matters into his own hands.
On Monday, Dr Singh launched GP After-Hours Biloela, a bulk-billed home doctor service aimed at improving people's access to health care and easing some of the strain on the public hospital system.
The service is not part of Biloela Hospital and is instead run by Dr Singh in his own time.
Despite only having started on Monday, Dr Singh said he had already received lots of calls inquiring about the service and had met with more doctors interested in signing up to help.
"There are a lot of palliative care patients in Biloela and single mothers with children who don't have a car who would benefit from this," he said.
"Every patient we see will be treated on site. A decision will then be made if they can wait to see their regular GP the next day or if they are too sick they will be referred to the hospital."
- GP After-Hours Biloela is available from 6pm to 10pm, seven days a week.
- The service will expand to midnight if needed.
- It will operate to a 15km radius outside of Biloela.
- Appointments are fully bulk billed and medication will be sold at cost price.
- Phone 0417189587 to make an appointment.
- Doctors interested in joining the service can contact Dr Singh on the same number.