Study: Power bills to rise if renewable targets dropped

THE ABBOTT government's plans to abandon the nation's renewable energy target will cost consumers an extra half a billion dollars on power bills, a new analysis has found.

A study commissioned by the Clean Energy Council, released Wednesday, showed removing the RET would force households to pay and extra $500 million for electricity by 2020.

It also found if the target was removed, as per the government's plans, it would cost households a further $1.4 billion in power bills each year after 2020.

CEC chief executive David Green said the report showed average families would pay an extra $50 a year on their power bills from 2020 if the RET was scrapped.

He said it reinforced the role renewable energy, such as solar and wind power, could play in protecting consumers from rising gas and electricity prices.

"Recent price rises in Queensland and New South Wales reinforce estimates that gas will increase dramatically in price this decade, as Australia enters the international gas market," he said.

"While the RET remains a critical policy to support Australian projects, the good news is that renewable energy is coming down in cost.

"The RET will help to protect consumers from the power price pain of rising gas prices, while delivering billions of dollars in investment and thousands of jobs for regional areas of the country."

The report also found that if the target remained in place, renewable energy would be able to deliver up to 22% of the electricity consumed in Australia by 2020.

Topics:  abbott government clean energy council cost of living power bills renewable energy ret

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Regional residents join refugee fight

Hundreds of people from Tweed, Lismore, Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Ipswich will travel to Brisbane for a refugee and asylum seeker forum hosted by the ASRC, Amnesty International, Oxfam Australia and Mums 4 Refugees.

'People are really troubled by the harsh way that we treat refugees'

Sri Lankan family pulled from plane minutes before deportation

The people of Biloela were left stunned last week when Priya and Nadesalingam's home was stormed by Australian Border Security at 5am last Monday.

The Biloela-based asylum seekers were given temporary legal reprieve

Children 'ripped' from beds, border force threatens deportation

Priya and Nadesalingam's two daughters Dharuniga and Kopiga.

Biloela was left stunned when ABS stormed a much-loved family's home

Local Partners