Mobile car-crushing unit puts Queensland hoons on notice

HOONS in regional Queensland are on notice as the mobile car-crushing unit makes it way around the state to enforce anti-hooning laws.

Cairns was the scene on Monday of the first crushing since the new legislation came into force in November last year but Police Minister Jack Dempsey said the unit would go to all regional areas to send a clear message to hoons.

Most cars seized under the anti-hoon laws are sold at auction and the funds funnelled back into road safety initiatives.

The government, which has already impounded more than 5000 vehicles, made $15,000 selling cars at auction last month.

But Mr Dempsey said those that could not be sold would be crushed rather than giving them back to owners.

"To those who think they can bring pain and suffering onto Queensland roads, they have nowhere to hide," he said.

"We'll do whatever it takes to keep our streets safe.

"These aren't fun-loving enthusiasts or people who enjoy motor sport, these are people who won't change their cultural habits to stop putting the lives of other innocent Queenslanders at risk.

"Less than 0.01% of these cars that have been impounded are actually from the motor enthusiasts."

Drivers caught doing burnouts, donuts, drifting or other hooning behaviour can have their vehicles confiscated for three months under the new laws.

If they offend again within five years, the hoon's car can be sold or crushed.

Topics:  editors picks hooning jarrod bleijie

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Regional residents join refugee fight

Hundreds of people from Tweed, Lismore, Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Ipswich will travel to Brisbane for a refugee and asylum seeker forum hosted by the ASRC, Amnesty International, Oxfam Australia and Mums 4 Refugees.

'People are really troubled by the harsh way that we treat refugees'

Sri Lankan family pulled from plane minutes before deportation

The people of Biloela were left stunned last week when Priya and Nadesalingam's home was stormed by Australian Border Security at 5am last Monday.

The Biloela-based asylum seekers were given temporary legal reprieve

Children 'ripped' from beds, border force threatens deportation

Priya and Nadesalingam's two daughters Dharuniga and Kopiga.

Biloela was left stunned when ABS stormed a much-loved family's home

Local Partners