Claims death cap mushrooms caused hospitalisations

DEATH cap mushrooms are being blamed for hospitalising three Canberra residents, prompting an alert from the Australian Capital Territory's chief health officer.

The three are now in a stable condition Calvary Hospital. They told authorities they bought the potentially deadly mushrooms from a Woolworths supermarket on April 17.

In the warning, Dr Paul Kelly said it so far appeared to be an isolated incident.

There have been no other recent reports of death cap mushroom poisoning in the ACT, he said.

The alert also reminded people not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

"It can be extremely difficult for even experienced collectors to distinguish death cap mushrooms from other edible mushrooms," Dr Kelly said.

Topics:  poisoning woolworths

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Council mergers: Did they actually save us money?

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie confronts protesters against council amalgamation outside the shire council in Barcaldine.

A decade on from council mergers, was the pain worth it?

Teenager's incredible maturity while facing her challenges

FAMILY PRIDE: Caitlyn Donohoe, with parents Cammi and Patrick Donohoe, is the regional winner of the Lions Youth of the Year Program .

The inspiring story behind this year's youth leader.

Janita's youth mental health movement

With one phone call, Janita Cooper helped pave the way to better youth mental health.

One phone call that paved the way to better youth mental health

Local Partners