PETER Forrest used to be a life saver on Bondi Beach.
Now he's come to Australia's rescue after a cricketing emergency.
The Queensland batsman has been called up to replace veteran Mike Hussey on Australia's one-day tour of England and Ireland after Hussey withdrew following the premature birth of his fourth child.
Forrest, 26, who joined the Queensland Bulls from New South Wales at the start of last season, is no stranger to wearing green and gold in the one-day arena, having played 11 times.
He scored 66 on his debut against India last summer and scored his maiden ODI century in only his fourth innings.
It meant he had scored more runs than any other Australian batsman after four ODIs, and was the first to make three 50-plus scores in his first four innings
Forrest, who toured the West Indies earlier this year, said he was looking forward to making the most of his chance.
"I had a good chat with Justin Langer when I got home from the Windies and he more or less said he was at a similar stage when he was a spare batsman. He basically said you have to take every opportunity you get," Forrest said.
"That has been my mindset from the start. If I'm in the team, 'happy days'. I'll take the opportunity and try to grab it with both hands.
"If I'm not, I'll play state cricket and keep churning out the runs to make sure I'm the next one in."
Forrest said people might look at his record and think he was frustrated about not having a permanent place in the team, but added he had no issue with the situation.
"I know the guys in front of me are superstars and if I get an opportunity I'll grab it," he said.
"It's unfortunate for Huss and I wish him and his family all the best."
Captain Michael Clarke's team depart on Thursday and Forrest said he couldn't wait to get on the plane.