GAMERS pushing for a new R18+ classification aren't popping the champagne corks just yet, after new laws to create the adult category passed the Senate late on Monday night.
Australia has not had an R18+ classification for electronic games, and the changes could eventuate in previously banned games being regulated for adult users.
Tom Tilwell, who runs campaign website R18games.com.au, said the battle to get adult-appropriate games ratings was not over yet.
He said the news was definitely welcome, but the passing of the federal legislation was "largely formal, rather than functional".
"(Gaming) classification is a state issue, and until we see similar legislation passed by state governments, we'll hold off on popping the champagne," he said.
"The states have agreed to pass legislation, but it now remains to be seen if and when that will be happening."
In any case, this is a hugely important step in the process, and one worth of celebration.
"Momentum on this issue is now unstoppable, I think, and with huge public backing behind it, I've no doubt we will see an R18+ rated game on the shelves next year."
Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare spoke to the Gametech Conference 2012 in Sydney via video link on Tuesday.
He said a lot had changed since he first played Donkey Kong, and the government was trying to move with the changes in gaming and media.
Mr Clare said the government was still considering 57 recommendations for changes to media classifications handed down by the Law Reform Commission earlier this year.