I HAVE noticed that over the years people are getting more and more sensitive to gluten and developing celiac disease.
My little granddaughter was diagnosed with this condition recently so we have been looking at which foods need to be avoided.
So what is celiac disease? Well it's a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food.
People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley.
Gluten is found mainly in foods but may also be found in everyday products such as medicines, vitamins, and lip balms.
Symptoms can vary from person to person and some common symptoms are:
- abdominal bloating and pain
- chronic diarrhoea
- pale, foul-smelling, or fatty stool
- weight loss
Common symptoms in children can be irritability so check with your doctor or naturopath if you are concerned.
I have a few gluten-free recipes in my cookbooks, but going from normal to gluten-free cooking can be a challenge, so here are some tips:
1. Most gluten free cakes will rely on ground almonds or hazelnuts instead of flour so be aware that this can add massive amounts of fat to the cake. I find mixing the gluten free flour, corn flour and soy compound to the mix makes a great combination and delicious baking.
2. I use cornflour as a thickener in most of my sauces but be aware that some cornflours do contain wheat so check that it has WHEAT FREE on the packet. Corn products such as cornflakes can contain barley malt so always check the label on chips and corn chips as well.
3. If you have to be really strict then I suggest that you create an area in your kitchen for storing your gluten free ingredients. Make sure your food prep surfaces, utensils, mixer, pots and pans are free of any kind of gluten residue. Have a separate toaster for gluten free toasting. It is really important to avoid cross-contamination of gluten-free foods with gluten.
4. Some spices and Asian sauces can contain wheat or gluten such as soy sauce, replace with Tamari instead. You will also find wheat in most gravy mixes and commercially made sauces.
5. All unprocessed animal meats are gluten free but you will need to check if the meat has been processed or packed with fillings such as breadcrumbs, pastry or thickeners.
Check out the health section in supermarkets as they are continually stocking more and more gluten free products, when in doubt check the label or don't have it.
Annette's cookbooks SYMPLY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE 1-6 are sold in all good newsagencies.
HAZELNUT AND PLUM FLAN - RECIPE FROM SYMPLY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE - BOOK 4 (SERVES 10)
- 1 x 825g can plums in natural juice
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon bi carb soda
- ½ cup apple sauce (in jar)
- ½ cup ground hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 1 cup cornflour (wheat free)
- cooking spray
Preheat oven 180º fan forced.
Drain plums then cut each plum in half, gently remove seeds. Leave to one side.
In a medium sized mixing bowl beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute using an electric beater.
Stir bi carb soda into apple sauce (it will froth), then add to bowl. Add ground hazelnuts and milk and blend well.
Gently fold sifted cornflour into mixture in one go, treat as if it is a sponge, DO NOT BEAT, as this will make the flan tough.
Coat a quiche dish with cooking spray then pour mixture into dish. Drop halved plums on top of mixture in a circle, cut side down.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Serve hot or cold.
THIS IS IDEAL FOR ANYONE WHO HAS WHEAT INTOLERANCE, AS THE DISH IS WHEAT FREE.
VARIATIONS: REPLACE PLUMS WITH ANY CANNED FRUIT HALVES IN NATURAL JUICE EG. APRICOTS, PEARS OR PEACHES.
605 (cals 144)
Now on the market, this spacious 3 bedroom family home is situated in an elevated position in popular West Gladstone on approx 693m2. Ideal for those wanting a...
High-set home on approximately 1,260m2 in Calliope Fully repainted with new floor coverings throughout Approximately 200m2 under roof 9ft ceilings and French...
Parksville is such a sort after location offering peaceful living whilst still being close to town. This lovely brick and feature timber residence has been...
A delightful 5 bedroom room is on the market in New Auckland. This home has the two family areas one ideal as the media room boasting 11 foot ceilings and air...
Your search is over if you've been looking for a quality brick duplex where the property has been well maintained over the years. You'll be surprised with the...
If you are seeking a great family home in a quiet cul-de-sac location where you can park your boat then sit back and relax in the privacy of your rear deck that...
Raine and Horne Gladstone are proud to be appointed Market Agents for this stylish brick residence that you'll be proud to call HOME as all you have to do is move...
If you are seeking a great family home that offers a winning combination of convenience by being located within walking distance of Kin Kora Primary School, a...
TO BE SOLD IN ONE LINE OR INDIVIDUALLY A huge opportunity presents to purchase 4 contemporary townhouses in a great position in sought after West Gladstone. - 4 x...
Looking for your first home or a solid rental then don't look at any other property until you've seen this treasure in West Gladstone. Don't be deterred by the...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.