I HAVE noticed that over the years people are getting more and more sensitive to gluten and developing celiac disease.
My little granddaughter was diagnosed with this condition recently so we have been looking at which foods need to be avoided.
So what is celiac disease? Well it's a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food.
People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley.
Gluten is found mainly in foods but may also be found in everyday products such as medicines, vitamins, and lip balms.
Symptoms can vary from person to person and some common symptoms are:
- abdominal bloating and pain
- chronic diarrhoea
- pale, foul-smelling, or fatty stool
- weight loss
Common symptoms in children can be irritability so check with your doctor or naturopath if you are concerned.
I have a few gluten-free recipes in my cookbooks, but going from normal to gluten-free cooking can be a challenge, so here are some tips:
1. Most gluten free cakes will rely on ground almonds or hazelnuts instead of flour so be aware that this can add massive amounts of fat to the cake. I find mixing the gluten free flour, corn flour and soy compound to the mix makes a great combination and delicious baking.
2. I use cornflour as a thickener in most of my sauces but be aware that some cornflours do contain wheat so check that it has WHEAT FREE on the packet. Corn products such as cornflakes can contain barley malt so always check the label on chips and corn chips as well.
3. If you have to be really strict then I suggest that you create an area in your kitchen for storing your gluten free ingredients. Make sure your food prep surfaces, utensils, mixer, pots and pans are free of any kind of gluten residue. Have a separate toaster for gluten free toasting. It is really important to avoid cross-contamination of gluten-free foods with gluten.
4. Some spices and Asian sauces can contain wheat or gluten such as soy sauce, replace with Tamari instead. You will also find wheat in most gravy mixes and commercially made sauces.
5. All unprocessed animal meats are gluten free but you will need to check if the meat has been processed or packed with fillings such as breadcrumbs, pastry or thickeners.
Check out the health section in supermarkets as they are continually stocking more and more gluten free products, when in doubt check the label or don't have it.
Annette's cookbooks SYMPLY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE 1-6 are sold in all good newsagencies.
HAZELNUT AND PLUM FLAN - RECIPE FROM SYMPLY TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE - BOOK 4 (SERVES 10)
- 1 x 825g can plums in natural juice
- 2 egg whites
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon bi carb soda
- ½ cup apple sauce (in jar)
- ½ cup ground hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- 1 cup cornflour (wheat free)
- cooking spray
Preheat oven 180º fan forced.
Drain plums then cut each plum in half, gently remove seeds. Leave to one side.
In a medium sized mixing bowl beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute using an electric beater.
Stir bi carb soda into apple sauce (it will froth), then add to bowl. Add ground hazelnuts and milk and blend well.
Gently fold sifted cornflour into mixture in one go, treat as if it is a sponge, DO NOT BEAT, as this will make the flan tough.
Coat a quiche dish with cooking spray then pour mixture into dish. Drop halved plums on top of mixture in a circle, cut side down.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until firm to touch in centre. Serve hot or cold.
THIS IS IDEAL FOR ANYONE WHO HAS WHEAT INTOLERANCE, AS THE DISH IS WHEAT FREE.
VARIATIONS: REPLACE PLUMS WITH ANY CANNED FRUIT HALVES IN NATURAL JUICE EG. APRICOTS, PEARS OR PEACHES.
605 (cals 144)
Auction is to be held 6:00pm, Thursday 4th February upstairs at the Grand Hotel (79 Goondoon Street, Gladstone). For more information please contact our office on...
Raine and Horne Gladstone is delighted to be marketing 19 Wattle Street For Sale. - Mid-set open plan design lounge, dining, adjoins the separate kitchen. ...
Raine and Horne Gladstone is delighted to be marketing 37 Dean Street For Sale. Upon entry there is the separate generous sized air conditioned lounge room...
RAINE and HORNE GLADSTONE is pleased to present 8 Sarah Court, to the market. Surrounded by quality homes in highly sort after Kaleentha Park Estate, this...
Raine and Horne Gladstone is pleased to present 7 CORMORANT CLOSE to the market! This impressive, lifestyle piece of land is situated in the highly sort after...
Raine and Horne Gladstone are proud to be appointed Market Agents for this spacious brick residence that you'll be proud to call HOME as all...
Located in a fantastic elevated position in New Auckland is this exciting new opportunity to purchase a solid 2 storey block base and cladded home that won't...
Don't miss this exceptional opportunity to secure a solid cash flow investment. With no Body Corporate, this 1459m2 high density rated block is located in a well...
Looking for your first home or a solid rental then don't look at any other property until you've seen this low set chamferboard home in West Gladstone. All the...
Raine and Horne Gladstone is delighted to be marketing 23 Whitbread Rd For Sale. If you're looking for a fantastic lifestyle enhancing family home then this...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.